In 2002, on the initiative of the >> Ministry of the Environment, >> ÖGUT set up the Strategic Group on Participation, which is intended to
- give the notion of "Participation" clearer contours, develop it further and make it more widely known,
- promote awareness of participation in the public eye and among decision-makers in politics, the administration and business,
- work out participation strategies for policies relevant to the environment and sustainability,
- contribute to sustainable development by promoting participation,
- promote participation at communal, regional and national level,
- make concrete “how to” guides available to people with practical interests.
The Strategic Group on Participation has 25 members – qualified experts on the subject with backgrounds in many different fields. More details about them are available here >> Members of the Strategic Group.
To date the Strategic Group has been concerned with contexts and quality criteria for participation processes and with the benefits of and the limits and obstacles to participation. The results of the Group’s discussions are published as “Worksheets on Participation", and are intended as aids in practical activity.
The Strategic Group on Participation aided in the production of the Participation Manual. More details about the Group’s products are available here >> Products from the Strategic Group.